Ever since I can remember lemons have been a part of my life. Living in North Queensland Australia most people grew lemon trees in their backyard so going to buy a lemon was not thought of. Having Italian heritage, lemons were used daily in our diet with olive oil and any other vegetable that we could juice it over.
My mother used it as an astringent on her face and I would use it as a final rinse to keep my hair healthy and shiny. So here are some simple and inexpensive ways to use the humble lemon.
1. Upon rising, squeeze a lemon into a litre of warm water, I have maintained this practice for many years. It will keep your skin healthy and help flush toxins from the bowel and cleanse your stomach. Helps sets your gut up for the day. Your skin will thank you and your eyes will be clear. If you have sensitive teeth and are concerned about the enamel of your teeth use a straw to drink. This practice will help to alkalise your body.
2. As an astringent for your skin, it will cleanse and exfoliate dead skin. It can sting, so water it down to suit your needs.
3. A beautiful final rinse for your scalp and hair after shampooing. Lovely on blonde hair.
4. As a salad dressing of olive oil and lemon instead of vinegar. Fresh and delicious.
5. At the first sign of a cough or cold make a mixture of lemon, garlic and honey. My favourite honey to use in this mixture is Manuka honey from New Zealand. Manuka honey is rich in vitamins and has amazing properties for healing. Chop garlic, add the juice of a whole lemon (I have added skin as well) honey and hot water pour into a glass jar and let it sit. You can sip this as often as you need or drink the mixture hot.
6. Will help purify your blood and this will assist to strengthen your immune system.
7. Can assist in weight loss and helps protect against inflammatory conditions.
8. Contains vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin E, folate, niacin, thiamine, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, calcium, copper, zinc, phosphorus and flavonoids.
9. The humble lemon contains well-known cancer-fighting properties.
10. Final point, why not make a point of including lemons in your daily routine simple easy and inexpensive if you’re considering the fabulous benefits for you and your family and remember, for your emotions, if you are handed lemons, (as the saying goes) MAKE LEMONADE!
View All Issues
© 2020 Wholly Natural Magazine.